In memory of chef Charlie Trotter, who passed away last night. He once said, “Every ingredient is like a musician’s note.”, which I wholly identify with.
I made his shaved fennel and apple salad for dinner. It is heavenly. Truly fantastic. It is only missing one thing.
Bacon. (Next time.)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and halved
- 2 bulbs fennel, thinly sliced
To prepare the vinaigrette: Whisk together the lemon juice, chopped tarragon, and olive and canola oils in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To prepare the salad: Cut the apple into thin slices and place in a medium bowl with the fennel. Toss with the vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.