Darius is allergic to air, so this cake needed to be 1) paleo, 2) not chocolate, and 3) gluten free. There is a cake recipe floating around called “Better Than Sex” cake, but I couldn’t find a recipe that fit all of those parameters, so you know what that means…time for an experiment!!
I found this recipe for carob cake with icing, which I heavily based the bulk of this recipe on. Then I just kind of freestyled after that.
- 1/2 cup carob powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 t tapioca (optional)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix the carob powder, almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a medium size bowl mix the melted coconut oil, vegetable oil, room temperature maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. It is important that the eggs and maple syrup be at room temperature, otherwise the coconut oil will harden and clump.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth and mixed.
- Pour the carob cake batter into the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 4 medjool dates
- 3 Tbsp carob powder
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 6 Tbsp date soaking water
- Soak the dates in water for 10-30 minutes to soften them.
- Place the dates, carob powder, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, cashews, coconut and maple syrup in a food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly add the water the dates soaked in until the icing is a fudge consistency, roughly 3-6 Tbsp of water.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla
Mix on high with your hand mixer until peaks are formed.
From there, you can do whatever you want with this cake. I cut 2 pieces out, and alternately layered with frosting and whipped cream, then put some coconut on top.